Monday, February 20, 2012

Pre-Med during a BugOut

   OMG! Now Jeff is playing doctor! Well, um, No! Least, not since I was a little kid. :)

   What this blog is about is having a first aid kit of some sort and knowing what to do if something happens to you or yours during a very trying time. Then again, maybe a not so trying time, but perhaps one that is simply unexpected. Do you know CPR? Do you know how to create a tourniquet? What if someone has bumped their head really hard on the ground? Do you let them pass out or work to keep them awake? How do you recover a body from the bottom of a pool?

   Since I am not a doctor, but I play one on TV (I don't really, but always wanted to say that) I will direct you to the nearest forum where you can see first hand, the procedures you should take in an emergency. That forum is Youtube. Simple eh? Everything you want or need to know, you can pretty much learn on Youtube, though, I would search out the information long before needing it.

   A month or so ago, my son was working his shift as a security guard for a company that runs 24/7. It just so happens that he had recently finished a CPR/first aid class at the local college. Within a month of the class, a man in the building had zoned out, fell to the floor and was spasmodic while frothing at the mouth. My son ordered someone to call 911 as he handled the SituationsX. He rolled the man onto his side, tucked the man's forearm under the chin so it rested over the elbow joint and then spread the man's feet slightly apart so the man wouldn't roll over and onto his back; possibly causing him to choke on his saliva. The man was experiencing either a Gran Mal seizure or epilepsy. 

   When the fire dept showed up, they asked who had placed the man in this position and my son explained that he did it. They complimented him on knowing what to do and they took the man away.

   My son explained to me that it was kind of weird that there were so many people there in the office and no one knew what to do; they panicked. Obviously, I'm proud of my son to have the wherewithal to think things through instead of getting caught up with the masses. Would you know what to do?

   What if you cut yourself while out on the road, would you know how to stop the bleeding and sterilize the wound? Obviously, on this blog, I can't cover all of the different situations that can happen to people, but if you take a few minutes each day to search out practical advice from the Youtube community, then I'm sure when the SHTF, you will be well prepared for a SituationsX.      

No comments:

Post a Comment