Thursday, December 15, 2011

Who Has Your Back?

Just yesterday evening I was watching Brad Meltzer's TV show, Decoded. In this segment they were doing background on the coming Mayan calendar prophecy of 2012. Now, after really thinking about everything that was "decoded," I got to thinking about this blog which I haven't really paid much attention to lately. So, I'm back.

One of the past blogs I wrote at this site is in regards to a BOB (Bug Out Bag). In my bag, which is a tall, black rucksack, I have a collection of essentials. It is all set to go and though I'm really not paranoid about 2012, I am all about prevention. If I were caught in a catastrophe the likes of Hurricane Katrina, I am already prepared; just slip on my backpack and I'm on the road...bugging out.

If I can't bug out and I have to stay where I am, then I am also covered for that. Every other week, or once a month, I purchase more dry food, canned goods and food bars to store. Just this morning I picked up two cases of water to add to my stack that is occasionally rotated and used. In case of a damaging earthquake scenario, I have water downstairs in my storage unit and I have cases kept in the condo. The same goes for the food, some in storage, some in the home.

So, I know I have food and water for two adults, and one dog that with proper rationing, will last roughly 5-6 months. The next thing to understand about a catastrophic Situations X is that at some point you will grow weary and need to sleep. It was noted in the show that in as little as four days, people who have not made any plans will begin to panic. They realize that they have no electricity, the water doesn't work, the toilets don't empty and food is spoiling in the fridge. When the food runs out, man's best friend becomes an appetizing option, as well as, the dog's best friend starts looking like an option also. If you're going to prepare for the worst case scenario, then include your pet's needs. If you have an aquarium, you might as well eat the fish and filter the water.

So, as the title poses, who has your back? Your spouse and kids may be there for you, but if you haven't planned accordingly, those young minds that truly depend on you for answers, as well as food, will be quickly disenchanted with your ability to handle any and all situations they are being forced to face. There comes a point that staying in the house is no longer safe. There will be certain groups, let's be nice and call them...opportunists,  that will be going from house to house in search of any food and water they can get their hands on. Money won't be able to buy these people off. At this point, water is money.

It is suggested that people have a backup plan and that they should not forgo a Situations X like this alone. You need to prepare and know who is on your team. You should have a team of no less than four adult males that know how to handle a weapon. As a matter of fact, women and children should also know how to handle any and all weapons.

It would be nice to believe that in the event of a catastrophe that everyone would act as the Japanese during their tsunami; civil and proud, but that's not likely the case for the American culture. I'm not talking about a catastrophe the likes of one city or small town, but one that devours the country. A catastrophe that shuts off the power grid, backs up filtration systems, pollutes all open sources of water and stops transportation from delivering any kind of hope.

Damn you Brad Meltzer, and your "Decoded" show! I truly hope that this type of event never occurs, but in the chance that it does, will you be ready for a Situations X?            

No comments:

Post a Comment